1. Heathrow runway ‘approval is due’
The government is expected to confirm approval for a third runway at Heathrow Airport later, the BBC understands. (http://is.gd/fVkJ)
Your government doesn’t care about your long term future, so please take responsibility for it yourself. Only fly when you HAVE to. If you want to get away that much, consider moving. You’ll have a better quality of life.
2. Biometric passports agreed to in EU
The European Parliament has voted to implement biometric passports in the EU, starting June 29.(http://is.gd/fXoc).
Your government doesn’t care about you, so when you’re issued with your new biometric passport:
- DO NOT USE IF FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN TRAVEL. That means don’t allow hotels to see it, don’t use it for booking cars, generally just don’t use it at all.
- Get a Faraday mesh to cover your passport. Sounds like paranoia? Once your biometric data is out, it’s out. You can’t have it revoked like you can a serial number or PIN code.
- Be sure not to be a bricklayer or lose your arms, because then you’ll need to get a new temporary passport every 12 months.
If I were to get the very best security experts in the whole of the EU, form them into a well funded group (www.fidis.net/about), and ask them to look at the viability of this plan, and they came back with the answer that they “dramatically decrease security and privacy and increase the risk of identity theft” (http://is.gd/fXqc), I think I’d stop the plan, since that’s the DIRECT FUCKING OPPOSITE of the stated goals.
So see the level of competence and thought that has gone into this plan, have a look at the member states’ answers to the security questions posed (http://is.gd/fXwy). Generally it’s of the tone “we aren’t actually collecing data yet, so we don’t have to think about its security”. And these are the people in charge of you.
3. Miliband regrets ‘war on terror’
The idea of a “war on terror” puts too much emphasis on military force and unifies extremists, says the foreign secretary. (http://is.gd/fXlA)
If your government does care, it’s too stupid to do the right thing. (See 1 and 2)
4. I’ve started knitting a scarf
I’m one whole yarn through so far. That’s right, folks, knitting is making a comeback.